This may be of some interest.
As a customer-facing representative — whether you work in sales, service, or support — you’re probably used to working in a busy, noisy office space. Maybe you work on a loud sales floor surrounded by reps chatting on the phone with leads. Perhaps you work in an office space with customer service and support reps working to assist customers over the phone or video chat throughout the day.
Whatever the cause of your workspace being noisy, it’s not always easy to block out the environment around you. That’s why we’ve compiled the following list of tips and tricks HubSpotters use to stay productive and focused in a noisy, busy, and sometimes, distracting workspace.
Before diving into the examples from HubSpotters, let’s take a look at some all-encompassing and actionable techniques to improve your productivity.
Now, let’s hear from HubSpotters about how they use these specific tips and techniques.
1. Block time on your calendar or communicate your need for disruption-free time to your coworkers.
- “One of my staples is creating a ‘working signal’. Since I’m typically on calls and that signifies I’m unable to chat, I usually keep my headphones on to show that I’m still at work. When my headphones come off that means I’m available to speak with or help others. I’ll also find a booth or another area where I know fewer people so I’m less tempted to converse and can focus on the task at hand.” — John Vassar, Customer Onboarding Specialist, HubSpot HQ
- “I find while working in a collaborative environment, people still approach you even if you have headphones on — so, I recommend informing your team in advance when you need time to focus. I set 30 to 60-minute blocks in my calendar that I try to religiously follow. During this time, I won’t get up or go for a wander or banter with any of my colleagues.” — Ricky Huang, Principal Account Executive, HubSpot Sydney
2. Invest in noise-canceling headphones.
- “My headphones have a noise-cancelation feature that I can turn on when it’s really loud. That’s typically what a lot of us on the team do.” —Ado Kawuba, Partner Specialist, HubSpot HQ
- “I have noise-canceling headphones (Sony WF-1000XM3) that I wear when I don’t need to be on a call, but have to work on a proposal or something else with a hard deadline.” — Ricky Huang, Principal Account Executive, HubSpot Sydney
3. Listen to white noise or music (specifically, without lyrics).
- “When I need to just put my head down and focus on doing some work, I usually play white noise which helps block everything else out.” — Sotiria Qirjazi, Customer Onboarding Specialist, HubSpot Dublin
- “I like my classical music — it keeps me focused and blocks out the noise. I stick with music without words so I don’t get distracted singing in my head (typing lyrics into emails!).” — Zoya Khatuntseva, Senior Channel Account Manager at HubSpot, HubSpot HQ
4. Move around, find a quiet space elsewhere, or work remotely when possible.
- “I know firsthand the toll that working on a noisy sales floor can have on reps, so I encourage my team take the time they need to move around the office, visit HubSpot’s Meditation Room, work remotely (and work on a flex-schedule, if possible), or just take a break when they feel overwhelmed. This helps improve overall productivity — remember, sometimes you need to sit out an inning to play the whole game.” — Dan Love, US Sales Manager, HubSpot HQ
- “While working as a rep, I’d get up and take breaks between my calls. Leaving your desk can do wonders for resetting your focus, especially if you’re given a few minutes to write case notes between calls. I’d write my notes quickly and use any extra time to leave my desk, walk around, get coffee, etc. This helped me reduce fatigue and stress whenever I felt it was a very busy or noisy day.” — Clint Fontanella, Service Blog Writer and Editor (former Customer Support Rep), HubSpot HQ
- “I like to grab my laptop and work from somewhere else in the office between my calls to get some time to focus.” — Sebastian Ferreira, Customer Support Specialist, HubSpot Sydney
- “I find that scheduling time to work remotely one day a week or a few times a month really increase productivity levels.” — Serena Shah, Sales Partner Manager, HubSpot HQ
- “I typically take my calls on the sales floor, but when I need time to focus, I’ll move to a quiet area of the office to get work done.” — Tim Ferraro, Principal BDR, HubSpot HQ
5. Make daily to-do lists and micro-goals, then cross them off items upon completion.
- “I stay productive with HubSpot Tasks and I create micro-goals for myself throughout the day to help me stay focused and make things easier to digest. For example, a micro-goal may be, ‘For the next hour, I’m going to either just make calls or strictly focus on my follow-up emails.'” — Cam Karosis, Small Business, HubSpot HQ
- “Make a list of what you want to accomplish that day, so when you get distracted and forget what you were doing, you can reference the list. Additionally, crossing something off a list is very cathartic.” — Serena Shah, Sales Partner Manager, HubSpot HQ
6. Experiment with tactics that are specific to your particular role in the office.
- “When my customers can hear it’s noisy in the background, I work harder to ensure they know I’m focused on their problem rather than what’s going on around me. Sometimes, when they hear noise, I worry they’ll be concerned that I’m not completely understanding or hearing their problem. To show I’m 100% focused on them, I try to be more conversational so they can tell I’m fully invested in our conversation and not what is going on in the background.” — Katelyn Tierney, Customer Support Specialist, HubSpot HQ
Stay Focused and Productive
No matter what your current technique is for staying productive on a noisy floor, don’t be afraid to chat with your fellow reps about their favorite tactics. Or, try using one of these tips from HubSpotters located across the globe. Who knows? You might just find your new favorite strategy.
Thank you for reading.
This may be of some interest.
Ty Heath is one of those people whose reputation precedes them. I had heard of Ty as a marketing industry speaker and force for change working at LinkedIn before finally meeting her in person. The IRL Ty experience did not disappoint. Each time I meet with Ty, ideas pop like popcorn – who needs coffee with such inspiration around what’s possible?
Currently Ty is Global Lead of The B2B Institute at LinkedIn where she is responsible for scaling education on LinkedIn’s Marketing Solutions product globally. She has previously worked for major brands including IBM, Nestle and over 7 years at Google – plus she’s had her own consultancy.
On top of that, Ty is Co-Founder of LinkedIn’s annual TransformHER conference, was a contributing author in the recently published books “The Professional Black Woman” and the “Black Female Leader” and author of the book, “Marketers of Tomorrow: A Step by Step Toolkit for Inbound Marketing“. Ty was also honored as one of the Top 25 Influential Women in Marketing Who Inspired Us in 2018.
One thing you may not know about Ty is that she is a two time Olympic Trials qualifier in track and field for the 800 meters.
I’ve known Ty for just over a year – we serve on an industry advisory council for The Digital Marketing Institute together and have many mutual friends and shared interests like B2B marketing, science fiction and brunch. That’s why I was very happy to interview Ty as a speaker at the upcoming MarketingProfs B2B Forum conference on all things ABM and Social Selling.
If you want to optimize your ABM and social sales efforts, be sure to see Ty in Washington D.C. during the Oct 16-18 B2B Forum. In the meantime, this video is a must-watch:
Ty Heath on the Growth of ABM:
Many folks have been thinking about making account based marketing part of their go-to-market strategy or maybe it’s already a part of it. I think the primary reason why that’s happening is because buyers expect more. We’ve all gotten used to the experience that Amazon and Netflix, and other companies have created.
Business buyers expect more personalized attention and customization of content…and account-based marketing is a way to deliver on that. @tyrona
Even though we are in the space of B2B, that experience and those expectations are translating over from B2C. That expectation of personalization and level of knowledge around the buyer’s needs. So, I think ABM is in demand more because of changing business customer expectations and account-based marketing is a way to deliver on that.
Ty Heath on Alignment Beyond Sales and Marketing:
At the core of a powerful account based marketing plan is a team that is invested in sales and marketing alignment. And frankly, when you think about account-based marketing it’s not even just about sales and marketing. It’s about having your entire team oriented to connect with customers wherever they are in their journey, wherever they touch your business and have them make that the best possible experience. Sales and marketing tend to be the two groups within your business that are most oriented towards having those conversations and having those touch points.
Ty Heath on Ann Handley:
I’ve been following her for so long. That’s the thing. I’m one of the subscribers to MarketingProfs, but even before that, even earlier in my career as a marketer I read Content Rules. I read Everybody Writes. I’ve been following her for a long time. I think she is truly a pioneer as a woman in the space of B2B marketing. I think she’s an amazing storyteller. Her ideas are clear. She’s been an inspiration for me!
Bound for B2B Forum: For more information about imagining what’s possible in B2B marketing including Ty Heath’s presentation, check out the MarketingProfs B2B Forum conference including agenda, list of speakers (including Ashley Zeckman and myself) and many other fun facts on the B2B Form website here. Also, get $100 off by using this mpb2b discount code: B2BFriends
Thank you for reading.
In a nutshell, what is Memester?
Memester is a social media marketing tool that creates and syndicate viral videos that brings you higher reach, explosion in engagement and more sales. It’s a desktop app that lets you grow your audience and visitors. It will make viral automation easy for you. So, just make your videos go viral easily as the success is not in making videos but getting people to watch them.
Who is Memester for?
There is no point in making videos if people are not watching them. All you time and efforts are wasted if your targeted audience is not watching. But with Memester you can overcome this problem. It’s like owning 4 apps in one that will make your videos viral in just few clicks.
Some of the people who can benefit from Memester are –
- Video Marketers
- Social Marketers
- Ecom Sellers
- Website Owners
Few things I love about Memester:
1) With Memester, you can pull in new visitors by the hordes using the ‘watchbait’ technique used by the top e-com & content marketing sites.
2) You can generate a crazy number of clicks to your offers, and massively boost your social media presence at the same time.
3) With Memester, you get full reporting and control of how your content is working. So, just monitor your content and see their performance.
4) You can turn portions or segments of videos into viral videos easily. Memester doesn’t limit to using the whole video to create viral content. Just select the part of video you want and create the content with that part only.
5) With Memester, you can create MP4 or GIFs and distribute them in any way you want.
What will I get inside Memester?
Memester lets you create viral content across different social media platforms and get audience and viewers on complete autopilot. Here is a detailed look at what exactly Memester will do for you –
You can discover content or popular videos that you can turn into memes quickly and draw audiences. Just put in the keyword and find videos.
You can easily syndicate and schedule your post across different platforms. Just click and your finished meme will be posted.
You can see what’s working and what’s not working with your meme marketing. Get a bird’s eye view of how your traffic tactics are working.
Any drawback to Memester?
If you don’t want to be the person who gets left out every time while others are making fortunes, then Memester is for you. This product from Cyril will definitely ease out your video marketing campaigns. Once you start using Memester so long as you keep it you will get the desired results. Now if you are repelled by being popular then maybe you should reconsider Memester! Other than that just go for it without even batting your eyelid.
Final thoughts on Memester:
The fact of the matter is that it is not possible to get the right set of targeted traffic every time you make a video. Sooner or later you will lose motivation or just get plain tired of all the hard work. Cyril has factored in every possible element of video marketing with Memester. If you don’t want to waste your time doing manually what can be done on auto, then you must go ahead and buy Memester. After all every minute you save from menial work, can be spent in pursuit of happiness or productivity.
Don’t let your fear of making sales pages hold you back anymore…
And for a Limited Time This Incredible Software is Yours FREE!
Yes it’s true!
I am giving away copies of my “Instant Sales Pages” Software to fellow warriors!
Because I can’t think of a better way to give myself some shameless self promotion than by giving away a really high quality software product!
Let’s face it if you get this free, use it and it makes your life easier, when I release future products (not free) you’ll be first in line to buy them 🙂